Sunday, February 15, 2009

Power Talk

Last week our Results Club session featured a fascinating conversation (if I do say so myself) with John Kador, author of 201 Best Questions To Ask On Your Interview, among plenty of other books.

John was talking about how to answer that old job interview chestnut, "So. Tell me a little about yourself." John's suggested response? "I'd be happy to tell you about myself, but first, may I ask a question?"

If you were the interviewer, what would you say? I'd say, "Sure, go ahead."

And, guess what? By asking a question first, you've effectively changed the course of the conversation. You have the full attention of the interviewer and you are now in charge.

Don't blow the opportunity.

John suggested you ask a question that is eerily similar to my Best Job Interview Question Ever: "What expectations do you have for this position?"

Great question. Because the answer tells you exactly what you need to focus on when you talk about yourself, your strengths and your skills.

And, I was thinking.

As I am wont to do.

Today, it's as much about keeping a job as it is getting a job. And to keep your job you need to make sure people know how you're contributing and how you're fulfilling their needs.

Why not use this question -- "what are your expectations for me in the coming months?" -- with your boss, or your board, or, if you're brave enough, with your subordinates? Why not use this question to touch base, and to "sell" yourself and your abilities?

Wouldn't it be great to deliver exactly what someone wants and needs?

Wouldn't that make you completely irreplaceable?

No comments: