Sunday, August 05, 2007

What Coaching Is

Have you ever wondered what coaching is all about? Wondered whether coaching is for you?

Last week my former client Barb sent me the following testimonial -- and I think she sums up (quite nicely) the process and outcomes of coaching. So, with her permission, I share her thoughts with you:

"I had heard of life coaching through a friend and while a bit skeptical, I searched on line for a 'coach' who might help guide me through a stage where I welcomed not only career advice, but life directional advice as well. I came upon Michele's website and was, quite frankly, impressed with her credentials and yet the overall down-to-earth nature which came across in her writing. I found Michele to be not only very approachable, but very wise for (what I think is!) her age.

"A very good listener, Michele was able to quickly ascertain and summarize for me what my issues or roadblocks seemingly were; to put a voice to the things I intuitively felt were going on, but could not verbalize myself. Together we created goals, both career-wise and other, and followed my progress. Each time we talked I felt there were kernels of wisdom there; things I had not thought of before. A survey of my core values has helped remind me about where I am headed in life and how to change course if necessary. I recommend Michele as a life coach for both men and women as she is intuitive, helps one strategize and develop tactics, and as she is someone who can help you see the broader picture of your life when you might be bogged down by the daily details."

Thanks for the affirmation, Barb, and just for the record, I'm 47 years old -- having recently attended two birthday parties for a fabulous 80 year old and a fantastic 93 year old, I only hope I can grow to have the wisdom of those two birthday girls as the years pass.

Coaching is a results-oriented endeavor. If you are stuck, or feel you don't have a plan -- coaching can help. If you want to make change but aren't sure how to go about it, coaching can help. If you're in a crisis and need the support of an unbiased third party, coaching can help.

As your coach, I have one objective: I want you to succeed. To get where you need to go, I design a series of exercises, assessments and tools specific to you and to your objective. I'll use any tool, any approach, any resource necessary to get you where you want to go. No two clients get the same approach -- because no two clients have exactly the same backgrounds, experiences, ideas, feelings or goals.

Sometimes I'll be your teacher. Sometimes I'll be your mentor. Sometimes I'll be your cheerleader. And, always, I'll be your coach -- helping you reach farther, grow stronger, understand deeper.

That's my mission statement. And I have to tell you this: working with clients like Barb make coaching the best job I've ever had.

No comments: